The Church the Body of Christ
Download the presentation here in pdf format.
See the associated One Body in Christ worship video here.
(Each of the biblical references below will highlight the verses in question.)
THE CHURCH: THE BODY OF CHRIST
The 7 Ones: [Ephesians 4:4-16]
- One body: believers in fellowship with the Holy Spirit and with one another
- One Spirit: The Holy Spirit walks daily with the believers to keep the unity of the Spirit
- One hope: a good expectation in this life and a looking forward to a home in heaven
- One Lord: Christ, redeemed us with his blood
- One faith: the only requirement to commit to Christ.
- One baptism: Water baptism which is the sign of dying and rising with Christ; and the baptism in the Spirit.
- One Father: who eternally loves us unconditionally
- What 5 things must believers do to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace?
- What does keeping unity mean to you?
Source of believer’s unity: Father Son and Holy Spirit.
- One Father, One Christ, One Spirit in every believer gives them unity. [Ephesians 4:4-6]
- Unity is not being alike nor thinking alike. Unity is in having the same purpose
- The same Spirit gives different gifts, to operate differently in different people, to provide diversity and complimentarity/interdependence.
- Diversity is God’s design to maintain effective function of His church, as a living organism
- Diversity in ministry is necessary for unity to be maintained. [1 Corinthians 12:4-7]; [Romans 12:5-6]; [1 Peter 2: 4-5]
- What terms are used to describe the church?
The Head of the Chruch "The Lord Jesus Christ" is in Heaven [eph 1:22-23], [eph 5:23], [col 1:18]
The Body of the Church "The Body of Christ" is on Earth and is made up of the believers [1 cor 12:12-27].
The lost sinner [rom 3:10-23] can be placed into the Body thruth the Saving Faith of the Cross [1 cor 12:13], [john 3:16], [acts 16:31].
[eph 4:11-13] Explained in picture format on the slide.
How the body works.
- The key goal for the body is endeavour to keep the unity of the Spirit in peace.
- Each part of the body be equipped to function as it should
- Recognise the value of each part/member as a joint that supplies to the body’s growth and increase: interdependence
- All is based on unconditional love of God
- The goal is to grow in unity
THE BELIEVERS DOING THE WORK OF THE MINISTRY
The Church (of belivers) is built from:
- God's Grace [eph 2:7-8]
- God's Wisdom [eph 3:10]
- God's Truth [1 tim 3:15]
- God's Life [col 1:27; 3:4]
- God's Glory [eph 3:21]
- God's Power [eph 3:20]
- God's Love [john 17:22-26]