(Each of the biblical references below will highlight the verses in question.)
THE BODY OF CHRIST Part 4: ”A Lifetime of Service” Part of the FOG Home Group Bible series by Overseer Mukwena & Mai Mukwena
Living for God: a lifetime of service [Col.1:16]
Called to Serve?
- Each part doing its work. [Ephesians 4:16]
- Masterpieces for good works. Ephesians 2:10
- Going about doing good like Jesus. [Acts 10:38]
- All your days were known before hand by God. [Psalm 139:16]
- Serve one another with your gifts. [1 Peter 4:10]
- What are your greatest assets in serving?
The supremecy of Love: The power of love and the value of character sustains service
- Serve out of love to have an impact. [1 Cor 12:31], [1 Cor. 13:1-3]
- Love reveals who God is, for God is love
- A visible act of service done in love makes a kingdom difference. [Matthew 5:16]
- What other verses are like it?
- We will be known by the love we have for one another, not by our spiritual gifts. [John 13:35], [1 Peter 2:9], [Romans 8:18-19]
Character is good stewardship [Matthew 25:14-30]
- Serves with a willing heart motivated by love, ‘I love to’
- Serves to be seen by ‘One’. What does God say about me?’
- Whatever it takes, goes beyond expectations.
- Directs attention to Christ in humility, God is glorified
A HIRELING “hired labour”
- Has to serve out of duty, or compulsion, ‘I have to’
- Serves to please others, to be seen. ‘What people think?’
- Its their job, so does the minimum, leaves before end of task
- Draws attention to self pridefully, and refers to God where convenient
Grow in GOD-Findence - Not self Esteme
- ROOTED IN BEING GOD’S WORKMANSHIP
[Ephesians 2:10] For we are God’s workmanship created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
- LAY ASIDE EVERY WEIGHT AND SIN
[Hebrews 12:1] Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.
THE WEIGHTS AND THE SINS
- Low self esteem or inferiority
- Pride and overconfidence
- Unrepentant sin
- Anger, worry, shame
QUESTIONS FOR NEXT WEEK
- Homework: What is the one, or two, or three things that I can start doing to make a real difference?
- Assuming we all know our gifts, what can hinder a person from flowing in the gifts God has given?
- Read, memorise, and reflect on these two verses, [Ephesians 2:10] and [Hebrews 12:1-2]. What do they mean to you personally for gifts and service?