(Each of the biblical references below will highlight the verses in question.)
THE CHURCH: THE BODY OF CHRIST
The 7 Ones: [Ephesians 4:4-16]
- One body: believers in fellowship with the Holy Spirit and with one another
- One Spirit: The Holy Spirit walks daily with the believers to keep the unity of the Spirit
- One hope: a good expectation in this life and a looking forward to a home in heaven
- One Lord: Christ, redeemed us with his blood
- One faith: the only requirement to commit to Christ.
- One baptism: Water baptism which is the sign of dying and rising with Christ; and the baptism in the Spirit.
- One Father: who eternally loves us unconditionally
- What 5 things must believers do to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace?
- What does keeping unity mean to you?
Source of believer’s unity: Father Son and Holy Spirit.
- One Father, One Christ, One Spirit in every believer gives them unity. [Ephesians 4:4-6]
- Unity is not being alike nor thinking alike. Unity is in having the same purpose
- The same Spirit gives different gifts, to operate differently in different people, to provide diversity and complimentarity/interdependence.
- Diversity is God’s design to maintain effective function of His church, as a living organism
- Diversity in ministry is necessary for unity to be maintained. [1 Corinthians 12:4-7]; [Romans 12:5-6]; [1 Peter 2: 4-5]
- What terms are used to describe the church?
The Head of the Chruch "The Lord Jesus Christ" is in Heaven [eph 1:22-23], [eph 5:23], [col 1:18]
The Body of the Church "The Body of Christ" is on Earth and is made up of the believers [1 cor 12:12-27].
The lost sinner [rom 3:10-23] can be placed into the Body thruth the Saving Faith of the Cross [1 cor 12:13], [john 3:16], [acts 16:31].
[eph 4:11-13] Explained in picture format on the slide.
How the body works.
- The key goal for the body is endeavour to keep the unity of the Spirit in peace.
- Each part of the body be equipped to function as it should
- Recognise the value of each part/member as a joint that supplies to the body’s growth and increase: interdependence
- All is based on unconditional love of God
- The goal is to grow in unity
THE BELIEVERS DOING THE WORK OF THE MINISTRY
The Church (of belivers) is built from:
- God's Grace [eph 2:7-8]
- God's Wisdom [eph 3:10]
- God's Truth [1 tim 3:15]
- God's Life [col 1:27; 3:4]
- God's Glory [eph 3:21]
- God's Power [eph 3:20]
- God's Love [john 17:22-26]